How to care for a shaved head?
If for some reason you have already made the hardest decision to shave your head this article is a must-read for you!
Having a shaved head has lots of benefits and is easier to maintain for sure. But you need to look after it very carefully as well. Normally, the scalp manifests differently to various weather conditions․ In the winter and on sunny days your scalp may dry out and peel due to the scarcity of humidity in the air and the active exposure of the sun rays. On the other hand, the scalp becomes shiny and oily at high temperatures. Hence, to take care of a bald head correctly, men with a shaved head need to take into account the atmospheric conditions and the state of their scalp itself.
Further, in this blog, we will talk about the best practices for bald head maintenance depending on various weather conditions and individual characteristics of the scalp as well as try to answer the most common questions about shaved head care.
Maintaining bald head in cold weather and on sunny days
When not covered with hair, the scalp may dry out and peel especially when exposed to sun and cold weather. This happens because in winter there is less humidity in the air, whereas in summer the strong UVA/UVB rays tend to dry the skin. These simple 13 rules will teach you how to maintain a shaved head during any weather:
1. Moisturize - First and foremost, a shaved head needs to be moist and hydrated, especially in winter when the air is dehydrated and on sunny days, when the scalp is actively exposed to the UVA/UVB rays. Using a bald head moisturizer will keep it moist, smooth, clean and will prevent any skin irritation. You can check up on moisturizers by Brickell, according to the product reviews they are really good.
2. Drink at least 2 litres or half a gallon of water - Another useful tip for skin hydration is drinking at least 2 litres or half a gallon of water. 60% of our body consists of water, give or take. Since our body is prone to dehydration we ought to drink a sufficient amount of water on a daily basis, which is normally considered to be 2 litres a day.
3. Avoid long exposure to the sun rays - The recommended daily dose of vitamin D is 600 IU (15 mcg) and the safest timeframe for getting it is before 11 am. After 12 pm the UVA/UVB rays of the sun may harm the scalp and trigger various skin disorders such as skin cancer, severe sunburns, skin ageing etc. It may also cause heat stroke and eye diseases like cataracts. For this matter, avoid long exposure to the sun rays, especially between 12 am to 5 pm.
4. The best sun protection for bald heads is sunscreen - If you can’t avoid the direct sunlight, the least you can do is apply a sunscreen. To know why to use sunscreen, how to choose the right one, how to apply it correctly and what are the best sunscreens for bald head read our previous blog post.
5. On sunny days, use a bald head cap - Buy a nice cap for your shaved head and a nice pair of glasses and always put it before getting out to the sun as additional protection from the harmful UVA/UVB rays. Though using a hat or a cap may cause abundant perspiration to the scalp, it will serve as supplementary protection to block out the harmful rays of the sun and will prevent various skin problems.
6. Try wet shaving - In the winter and on sunny days your skin needs extra sources of water, one of which is a wet shave. A wet shave will not only hydrate your scalp but will also prevent skin irritation, dryness and razor bumps. You can use shaving cream, gel, foam or soap for a wet shave. But what is more important the shaver needs to be water-resistant too.
7. Choose the right shaver - For a healthy and fresh look, one must start from choosing a well-adapted shaver. It is proven time and time again, that electric shavers are better than razors: most of them are waterproof and allow to enjoy both wet and dry shave, they do not cause skin irritation and are safe to use. Our Skull Shaver head and face shavers are the vivid examples of which: these shavers are 100% water-resistant, you can try both wet and dry shave and enjoy 90 minutes cordless use thanks to a powerful integrated battery. You can find more information about each model here.
8. Don’t ditch the shampoo and conditioner - Your scalp and that tiny hair still need some care even if you are keeping your head shaved! Oil and dirt can perfectly build-up on the scalp and give an oily look to your shaved head. For this matter, we suggest using a nice piece of refreshing shampoo and finishing up your sleek look with a moisturizing conditioner. Brickell strengthening shampoo is a good choice for dry and itchy scalp. Keep in mind that soap and body wash have a drying effect, so try to keep away from them.
9. Protect your bald head with a hat or a beanie in cold weather - A nice piece of a beanie or a hat for shaved heads are real salvation in winter from extremely cold temperatures. Though the UK doesn’t really get exceptionally cold, a beanie with a piece of scarf may fulfil your everyday look.
10. Exfoliate your scalp - Dead skin cells make your head look dull and clog the pores. Exfoliating the scalp of a shaved head affects the physical appearance of your head, takes the dead skin cells, oil and dirt away and prepares the skin to an extremely close and smooth shave.
11. Nourish the scalp with natural vegetable oils - Besides keeping the scalp moist remember to also nourish it. The best way is maintaining it with natural vegan oils such as almond, argan, castor and jojoba oil. French made 1st cold-pressed oils by Sobiorganic are 100% pure and BIO and are a natural remedy against inflammation and many other skin imperfections. These vegan oils will nourish and strengthen your scalp and give your baldie a sleek and fresh look.
12. Warm, not hot showers - The heat from the shower will dry your skin out. Therefore, either replace hot showers with warm or thoroughly moisturize and nourish your scalp after each shower with a moisturizer for a shaved head.
13. Avoid skin care products containing alcohol - Many of the skincare products contain alcohol, which, as we all know, causes additional dryness. That’s why we suggest giving your preference to the products not containing alcohol.
We hope these 13 pieces of advice helped you get an answer to the initial question: “How to care for a shaved head?”. Follow them to have a nice and neat bald head and avoid any problems with your scalp!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Being a leading manufacturer of innovative shavers for bald head, we at Skull Shaver receive many questions from our customers regarding the best practices for head shaving and scalp maintenance. We also receive valuable feedback from them which can definitely help newbies in adapting a proper shaving routine. Below we have tried to summarize the frequently asked questions and the responses to them:
How often do bald guys shave their heads?
Normally the frequency of head shaving depends on various factors, such as hair growth rate, men’s preferences etc. However, in order to estimate how often do bald men shave their head we have conducted a little research and below are the results:
5% of men are shaving their heads once or twice a week
15% - 3-5 times a week
80% - 2-3 times a week
How often should I shave my head bald?
Let’s first figure out the characteristics of your skin and hair and then only decide how often should you shave your head. If your scalp is sensitive and is easily irritated, let it calm down at least a day after a shave. In other words, you can shave your head every other day or max 3 times a week. On the other hand, if you are a hard lover of a clean and smooth shave and your hair grows really fast you can try shaving your head every day. But remember to moisturize your scalp after each shave, otherwise, it will dry out and peel.
How to get rid of shaving bumps on head?
Sometimes, after getting your head shaved, redness or shaving bumps on the back of the head may appear, which is called razor burn or razor bumps. They may appear either immediately after shaving or when the hair is growing back. Normally, quality electric shavers do not cause razor burn or razor bumps, if the skin is not too sensitive. So what if you have already got some razor bumps, how to get rid of them? There are plenty of home remedies such as tea tree oil or white tea bags (just wet the tea bag and press it against the affected skin), or you can simply get to the pharmacy and take anti-inflammatory treatments. For more home remedies simply follow the link.
How to shave your head without getting razor bumps?
You are getting razor bumps or rash after shaving your head? Prevention is always better than cure. Make sure you use a quality electric shaver, apply the right shaving foam and aftershave products according to your skin type. This way you can prevent getting razor bumps or razor burn.
How to shave your head bald with an electric razor or what is the best way to shave your head bald?
In many ways, electric shavers are a better and safer way of shaving your head and face off. What is more, they give you the freedom to choose between wet or dry shave, they do not cause skin irritation and provide you with an extremely close shave in just a few minutes, without any nicks and cuts. To be short, the advantages are too many. But it’s also very important to shave your head the correct way. To learn how to do it, read our previous blog post and you will definitely find the irrefragable answer to your question and will know how to properly shave your head with an electric shaver.
How to shave your head perfectly smooth and clean?
The answer to the question “How to shave your head smooth?” is simple: for having a perfectly shaved head you must follow some tricks. Firstly you need to prepare your skin by exfoliating it and taking away oil, dirt and dead skin. Secondly, choose the perfect electric shaver which compatible with wet shave (discover the line of electric shavers by Skull Shaver). Thirdly, choose a proper shaving foam, gel or soap suitable for your skin type. Remember to put some aftershave gel and that’s it, go and enjoy your smoothly shaved head!
What is the best electric shaver for shaving your head?
When choosing an electric shaver for the head, there are several factors to be taken into account. You can discover our guide to choosing the right shaver by reading our previous article. It is important to remember, that when it comes to a bald head, it is recommended to use a shaver specifically designed for the head. The difference from conventional shavers, is mainly in its shape which facilitates the shaving process and ensures clean results. Skull Shaver products are a great example of head shavers that help in taking care of a bald head, spending only a few minutes per day.
Can you shave your head every day and what is the best way to shave head everyday?
So why not? Of course, you can, if your skin will not suffer from that. You just need to know how to properly shave your head. For extra prudence, try wet shave if you are going to shave your head on a daily basis. Make sure you moisturize your scalp after each shave to avoid any skin irritation or unusual dryness. This is the best way for shaving your head day-to-day.
What to do if I shaved my head and it itches?
The solution is easier than you may think! Simply moisturize your scalp with a vegan oil or a conditioner. It’s quite normal that your skin dries out and sometimes even itches after shave since shaving normally dries out the skin. But the good news is this issue can be easily addressed by applying good quality moisturizing products to hydrate your skin.
How to wet shave your head or how to wet shave with electric razor?
While many people prefer a dry shave, wet shaving may be beneficial, especially for certain types of skin. Here are a few simple steps to follow:
2. Apply some shaving cream, foam or gel to the scalp
3. Turn on your electric shaver and finish it up
4. Last but not least, use a shaved head scalp moisturizer to avoid skin irritation and itchiness
Those 4 simple steps define what a wet shave is and how to do it properly. Though people believe wet shave is impossible with electric shavers, we would like to oppose. Electric head and face shavers by Skull Shaver allow you to shave both wet and dry and even use the shaver in the shower.
What to use after shaving head?
Aftershave products are what needs to be used on the scalp since you have finished up with your ‘’haircut’’. Aftershave gels, oils or creams are meant to moisturise and calm down the scalp, to prevent any skin irritation or inflammation, and finally, they give your bald head a sleek and well-groomed look.
What are the benefits of shaving head?
Well, having your head shaved has countless benefits and advantages for sure. However, it’s up to you to decide whether it’s an advantage or disadvantage for you. We have separated 5 main benefits of shaving your head: a fresh look, saved time and money, comfort and less care, self-confidence and finally accent your facial features. If you are interested in whether you should shave your head and if you want to discover the advantages in more detail just read our dedicated blog post.
Best way to shave head at home?
In many ways, shaving your head bald at home will save you lots of time and money. You will avoid going to the barbershop every now and then since you’ll have your well-groomed and fresh look in just a few minutes. But to do it in the best way possible you need to choose the right shaver which can be used at home, while travelling or anywhere else for that matter. As already mentioned, electric shavers by Skull Shaver are a perfect solution for a no-mess shaving at the comfort of your home.
How to shave the back of your head by yourself?
Shaving your own head may seem troublesome, but that is just an assumption. Simply take your head and face shaver by Skull Shaver and shave the back of your head without even having a mirror handy. As little as 90 seconds are enough for getting impeccable results and pretty clean and smooth shave.
Why do I get white scalp after shaving head and how to cope with it?
If you have a look at the head of a man, who shaved his head for the first time, you may notice a strange whiteness of his scalp. Normally, people get a white scalp after the very first shave. This is because beforehand, the hair on your head protected the scalp from the UV rays. You would obviously need some time to naturally get rid of the witness. Alternatively, you can put some sunscreen while exposed to the sun, to accelerate the process.
How to get rid of an oily scalp of a bald head?
The presence of sebum is the reason for a shiny and oily bald head. The sebum a sticky, oily substance, which tries to protect the scalp from losing moisture and from drying out. It is important for you to know that you can not stop it forever but can give a temporary solution to it. Just wash your scalp with body soap and warm water. Dry your scalp thoroughly with a towel and that’s it, the scalp is not shiny anymore. Or you can just apply shine reducing moisturizer for a bald head.
Now you know everything about how to care for a shaved head and have revealed the answers to FAQ about bald head maintenance. Hope you will find this helpful and will share your own way of maintenance in the comments.